Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lars von Trier's Antichrist


Here is a really amazing poster for the recent hilarious romp "Antichrist", out now in a slummy dive theater near you. Click here for a larger version. I got to finally see it last night, and as far as I can tell, I was really impressed/scared/unsettled/confused. Take your pick. It meanders, but Lars von Trier is definitely saying something with it, but what that is I'm not entirely sure, and I'm also not entirely sure I want to know what it is. It kind of seems that he is deeply misogynistic, but then you could flip that completely and say that he is showing that women can be powerful, even moreso than men. It contradicts itself, and I kind of liked that. It doesn't have a blunt and obvious message. I do want to watch it again, but not for a while, as it has some absolutely vile imagery. But, in keeping with it's contradictory theme, it's also one of the most beautiful movies I've seen in a long time.

It's a headscratcher for sure. But I think I liked it. Some parts I even loved. I'm definitely thinking about it a lot the day after seeing it, and that's a good thing. And there's a plucky talking fox! What's NOT to love?? Take the family!

1 comment:

  1. It's weird that a movie could be so deliberate and precise in the way it looks and feels but be so unreadable and obtuse in what it's trying to say. But the reason I think it's an interesting movie is because I really think it is trying to say something, not just show a bunch of fucked up stuff. Though it certainly does that in spades. Those wacky Danes!

    ReplyDelete